Friday, May 10, 2013

The Mediocre Gatsby

So, as a huge fan and student of film and screenwriting, every once in a while I'll review a movie.  I was lucky (or so I thought) enough to win tickets to a pre-screening to The Great Gatsby.

Well if there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I absolutely despite and have a full on hate towards 3D. If I could stop war or banish 3D movies, I'm sad to admit we'd still be having many a wars. It's just not needed. They charge more for something a lot of people don't want. It literally hurts my eyes. I blink less, and when I do blink I start to tear up. If I close one eye, it looks normal but.. .come on, who's gonna do that?  It's what pop-up books are to reading. Sure the first two or three are neat, and different, but you wouldn't read every novel ever in pop-up book style. I could never read Catcher in the Rye as a pop-up book...maybe 50 Shades of Grey, but not much else.

Anyway! Back on track here, I'm walking into the theater and there's a girl with a box of 3D glasses. "Nooooooo! Why!" I shouted. Why, of all the movies would THIS be in 3D?! It's not action, it's not adventure just leave it alone!

I'll cut to the chase here; it felt an hour longer than it actually was (just over 2). Parts dragged on and nothing happened for some time. It felt more like a stage play at times, which was okay for a bit, but I just lost interest. It was shot beautifully. Lighting, wardrobe, acting was great, everything, which made it a victim of style over substance.

One of the girls I went to go see it with totally loved it. So, maybe it's just me. I don't know. Rottentomato's gave it a 40% ... and I agree with that rating. 

But def go see it. It's worth a view and I'd love to know what you loved/hated about it. Try to see it in 2D though... unless you love 3D, then go see it in a volcano.


No comments:

Post a Comment