Friday, May 3, 2013

A Millionare touched me yesterday - Literally and Metaphorically

So I shook a millionaires hand yesterday. Not just any millionaire, Robert Herjavec. He's on Shark Tank and was on Dragon's Den. Has a few books out, super rich, lives in Toronto, all that jazz.

Anyway, as I was working on my screenplay (Starbucks... i know, i know, but i have no choice) he sat behind me. I was walking back to my table and I thought it was him, wasn't sure though. So I got up, did my best acting and pretended to look at the Canadian History section, like I gave a damn, and went back to my table. Still wasn't sure. I did this charade about 3 more times. The last time, he got up and we crossed paths. So I yell out "Robert Herjavec?!'  He says "Nice to meet you"  (YEAH, I'm sure you're blown away that you're meeting me). Shook my hand, I blanked on anything great or funny to say, so I just said "Oh... awesome to meet you" and he made his way to the magazine section to pick up some car magazines. (He's huge into cars, watch the MTV cribs when they go to his house, he has a bunch of awesome whips.)

This is an excerpt from his newest book: 

"... take risks, take control of their life, and stay true to your own vision.
Whether you are seeking to build the next big company in communications technology, to become the most respected teacher in your educational system, or to make a lasting impact as an artist in your field, the most important decision you can make is to reject mediocrity. In the long run, “good enough” is never good enough, whether in our personal lives or in our careers." Robert Herjavec

Love him. Good advice, sir.

So, that was cool. He was in town doing a book thing. I love him on Dragon's Den and the Tank. He has a small city for a house and is super cool and approachable. He came from nothing and made himself uber successful. Now if I can only get to half as wealthy as he is, I'd be happier than a pig in shit. That being said, back to the screenplay.


No comments:

Post a Comment